Chiron'

Chiron'

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mothers Day

A time to recognize and honor our mothers. A celebration of not just the feminine, but specifically the aspect of feminine nurturance and sacrifice.

Mother’s Day is more than just a moment in time to remember those who have sacrificed of themselves for our benefit. It is a time to recognize the Divine aspect of what a mother really is to us.

“Mother is the name for God from the lips of children.”

This is a quote from the movie “The Crow” as I’m sure you’ll all remember. I think I got it right, but I’m too tired to look it up, but you get the idea.

It made me wonder upon hearing it what that meant that the word “Father”, was supposed to mean. Does that mean that “Father” represents Satan?

(laughing)

From this I went on to think about how “To Mother” isn’t necessarily limited to women.

Strangely, some of the most nurturant people I have ever known, were in fact, men.

So what is it that we celebrate of our mothers on this day?

I submit that what we are really celebrating is our very first relationship.

First contact.

From the moment we were conceived, our mothers were there. They were the first person that we became aware of. They were the liason between the world we do not now remember, and the world where we reside today.

All of us are raised with the unmistakable bias of what our mothers thought. We are an extension of them. Their pain, their pleasure, their hopes and dreams and even their fear.

The intimate bond between our Mothers and ourselves is perhaps the single most significant aspect of the human condition...which we all share regardless of race, religion, nationality, or even our sex. If we are alive, then at one point we had a Mother. A woman who cherished us and didn’t qualify the unconditional love that she gave to us.



We all want our Mothers to be proud of us. We all want her to know that no matter how many years have passed, or how many miles are between us, or even how many disagreements that have ever come between us, that at our deepest core, we want and need their approval and their Love.

Our Mothers don’t make life easy for us. They push us and challenge us to do things that we might never have the courage to try without them firmly behind us. They can drive us to the brink of insanity with their inflexibility and their quirky idiosyncratic personality traits, and yes, sometimes with their pitchfork. They were and are an extension of THEIR Mothers. The Divine nature of our Mothers has been passed down through time and space into the heart and eyes of the woman standing before you. All of her Love, and all of her pain are a part of who she is. Equally, all of her Love and pain is a part of who we are. Sometimes I wonder if all the world might become at peace if we could only erase our mothers pain.

Mothers Day is a day to recognize the beautiful aspect of self sacrifice. For our Mothers have given much in order for us to be.

My Mother is incredible. She has helped fashion me into who I am. She has taught me Love and discipline, self sacrifice and purity. She is the anvil upon which I was forged by the hammer of life. She knows me in ways that I don’t even know myself. She knows my strengths and my weaknesses. She is my author, and I am one of her masterpieces.

I hope that what I give to the world is worthy, of what my mother sacrificed to create me.

I love you mom.

Chiron’

No comments: